Friday, July 31, 2009
Sunday, July 26, 2009
Saturday, July 25, 2009
2. Scalp conditioning ~ MN, MTG, Cell Ovation Therapy, Mega Tek
3. Low Manipulation ~ Keep your hands out of your hair
4. Protective styling ~ wig, phony pony, braids
5. Relaxer stretching ~ 12 - 16 week
6. Balance moisture / protein levels
7. Deep condition at every wash
8. No trimming ~ dusting is allowable
9. No / low heat ~ blow dryers, flatiron
10. eating a balanced diet
11. Sticking with a regimen that works / consistency
13. Supplements ~ multivitamins, iron
14. Drink plenty of water
15. Sleep in a silk / satin scarf at night
16. Keep ends moisturized by baggying ends
17. Hot oil treatments
Monday, July 20, 2009
All proteins are strengthening proteins to some degree but here are the more specific characteristics of these proteins:
Collagen Protein--known for increasing elasticity in the hair Silk Protein--known for softening the hair
Wheat Protein--a moisturizing and strengthening protein. known for increasing the hair's ability to maintain & receive moisture also.
Keratin Protein--responsible for keeping the hair strong and pliable. This is the strongest of the(hair product) proteins and is actually the one that hair is made from. This one re-structures hair that has been damaged or broken down by chemicals. It helps to replace the amino acid cysteine which is the main one lost during chemical processing. This is the heavy duty protein. If you see the following as an ingredient
*Vegetable protein -- Vegetable protein absorbs more easily into the hair shaft [than animal protein] and does not create build-up, leaves the hair very shiny, radiant, luxuriant, and healthy.
*Animal protein -- Animal protein breaks down into fatty acids, which coat the hair and create residual build-up.
Silk Amino Acids/Protein--Natural silk is the strongest, natural fiber known to mankind. Discovered in Japan and has been used for centuries in all kinds of products that require durability. Silk has a tiny molecule that can penetrate the entire hair shaft deeper than all other proteins without adding any weight leaving the hair feeling clean and non-greasy
Keratin protein More Indept:
*a) Keratin protein--this will re-structure and strengthen the hair cuticle (the outer layer only & the most important layer) The keratin in some reconstructors should not leave your hair hard like the Aphogee Treatment for damaged hair (which contains hydrolyzed animal protein). This treatment hardens on your hair for a reason and is used with mild heat. A moisturizing conditioner is a must with this in order to soften like Keracare's humecto. Reconstructors that contain keratin and other proteins are supposed to have enough moisture to soften the hair therefore leaving your hair with a nice protein/moisture balance."
* b) Hydrolyzed Keratin Protein or Keratin Amino Acids--this means that the Keratin molecules have been broken down and are small enough to go beyond the cuticle and penetrate the hair shaft. It will strengthen all 3 layers of the hair. That is why the term "deep conditioning" technically only refers to this kind of treatment using penetrating proteins.
*c) Hydrolyzed Human Hair Keratin--This is an exact match for the keratin your hair has (or has lot due to chemical processing). This is the highest quality and most potent keratin that can be used in hair products.
Friday, July 17, 2009
********** Subject to Change *************
Shampoo 2 x per week
d/c 2 x per week moisturize
2 x per day or 1 x per day after 8 weeks.
I wash my hair twice a week on Tuesday and Saturday. I am doing my Maximum Growth Challenge and will stretch between 10 and 12 weeks with the help of protective styling. I clarify when needed. I think I am getting this regimen thing down pat. My hair is getting use to the routine. My hair type is a 4w a category all of my own. It grows thick, full, woolly, wiry, and coarse. My protective styles of choice are full wigs.
Products that I'm using:
Relaxer SE Megasilk Regular Lye
Shampoo any shampoo the is formulated for dry, damaged, or color treated hair.
moisture d/c: I mix the following products
ORS replenishing conditioner & SE R&R Hair Mayonnaise
Mendex SE & R&R Hair Mayonnaise
Ion Effective Care &Hot Oil Treatment
Other Conditioners that I use Queen Helene Cholesterol & Nexxus Emergencee
** note **
I am also using Mega Tek so I don't need a protein d/c. I am focusing on balancing moisture with the mega tek. I will also be adding Ayurvedic Powders and Oils to my regimen this year. This is my basic hair care regimen.
1. Shampoo the hair 2 times per week. The rule of thumb is to shampoo every 3 or 4 days. When choosing a shampoo you want to go with a shampoo that is for damaged, relaxed, permed, or color treated hair. These shampoo are the gentlest for hair that have been chemically processed and will not strip.
2. Moisturize the hair 2 times daily with a cream or spray moisturizer.
3. Deep condition hair after every shampoo with a combination of protein and moisture.
* Check out the product list that I have compiled from various sources. I have done a product review of all of the product that I have used.